7.15.2011

The Tin


I wrote this poem "The Tin" about my current state-of-being.

I woke up between worlds
in the green and quiet place.
The stillness overcomes me.
Becomes me.

Merged into one
I feel the heartbeat of the earth.
My lungs fill with each
breath it takes
It inhales, I exhale.

Patched by fabric and velcro
Kept together by glue and twine
Fastened tightly by bolts and screws
I try my best to keep from falling apart.

But they did not hold,
my joints bend and creak under
the weight.

But I've made it to this place.
Though I didn't walk here alone
I recall from my rusting stupor,
memories of weightlessness
and blurred floor beneath me.

In this green and quiet place
my hands are no longer made of iron,
my feet no longer made of lead,
and my heart no longer forged of steel.
for the first time, I feel -
I breathe.

I dig at a memory -
that I may have breathed before.
But it's distant and vague,
and like a phantom, it slips
away.

With a raven-haired halo,
I listen to our shared breaths,
feel the pulse of our hearts.

I inhale the sweet smell of pine
And exhale a garden.

There is life in this place –
where the river giggles past
and the water kisses the bank,
healing the edge.

There is shelter in this place -
where the trees grow tall
and shade the earth,
craddle the ground.

There is joy in this place –
where the birds sing cheerfully,
exchanging wholesome vows,
secret melodies.

There is love in this place –
where the water and the
trees and the birds
take care of me.

Lying here,
I breathe in your fragrance,
I can nearly taste your sweetness
on my lips. And I long to move
from the inbetween,
into your arms.

.